This is a very simple recipe of baked Eggplant Parmesan but very good.
- 1 large eggplant, sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick pieces (about eight)
- 2 eggs, beaten with a fork
- 1 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 jar pasta sauce (I used 1 pint of our canned pasta sauce.)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven with a baking sheet inside to 375°F. Coat eggplant slices with beaten egg, then bread with panko crumbs. Spread oil on hot baking sheet and place eggplant slices on it in a single layer. Bake 15 minutes, flip and bake another 10 minutes.
2. Increase oven temperature to 475°F. In an 8 x 10-inch ovenproof dish, layer pasta sauce, then eggplant, and top with cheeses. Repeat, finishing with cheese
3. Bake until the cheese melts and turns golden in spots, about 15 minutes.
*EDIT* The above pictures were from the first time I baked this. I now add one more step, before placing your dish in the oven, take a piece of aluminum foil large enough to cover dish. Prior to covering fold the foil in half avoiding the foil touching the food, basically making a tent. This will keep the cheese from turning too dark. Carefully remove the foil and bake another 2 minutes.