End of Garden Season 2010 & We Found Carrots!

The weather is getting colder and the time to prepare the garden for next year is a little over due. Threats of snow this week put Todd and I into action. We both did not want anything to do with the garden after the type of year we had, yet we want a great year for next year. On Thursday, Todd had pulled weeds and plants he also told me we still had carrots. I did not think much of it because our garden was not that much of a success this year. I do remember that he found a carrot in the ground in the Spring that was left from last year. It had no step just the carrot in the ground, so I kind of thought of that when he was talking about the carrots.

Today we put the cages and stakes away. We also took apart the container garden. The boys helped out. I love it when they help it. It is more then cutting the time down, it is more then just getting help. (Yes, I love that part too.) I love it because partly that is what family does, help out and pitch in. I also have hopes that they will pick up some of this and when they have their own place they will garden too. Right now, they do not show any interest but I do hope that they see all the benefits a garden gives one. I also hope it shows a little of "Going Green". How composting helps not only our garden but the environment. Last year we did better at recycling and compost and I hope to put this action into play once again. I need to get a container to put our waste that we can compost. The main reason I love this is that it is something they can do together (we all can do) and get away from electronic gadgets. Joshua and Ethan were taking the planters from the container garden and wheel borrowing them to the the patio where we removed what plants were left and dumping the soil into a big barrel.

The boys came to me showing me a carrot they pulled and were about to toss it at one another. This is something Todd started a few years back when cleaning out the garden. He and Joshua would take old tomatoes and see if they could hit a tree or play golf with it and seeing how far they could put it. They were laughing because it was a huge baby carrot. I mean huge, like a potato. I looked at the containers on the picnic table and noticed two tubs of carrots still and told the boys not to throw them, we could eat the carrots. Todd turned around and looked at the carrot the boys brought. We all went over to the carrots and pulled several carrots. There were a few very small ones that Todd would toss to the boys to have fun with. I loved watching them all laugh, including Todd smiling at them. We definitely had found more then a bunch of carrot today in our garden. I sliced the carrots for crock pot meals or possibly stews. Tomorrow night we do plan on chicken with veggies in the crock pot, our carrots will be an addition for sure.



I compared the baby carrot that is store bought to our baby carrots that we pulled from the garden today.

Comments