Fairy Garden

A couple of years ago I saw a Fairy Garden and thought how much I would like to make one.  I have been looking online and thought that I would make one this Summer.  I wanted to use my old wash tub my Mom gave me about 20 years ago.  It was her Mom's.  ( I feel I need to explain here, I never got to meet her Mom, she passed when my Mom was 13 years old.)


At first I planned on gluing rocks on a bird house.  I went to Michael's to look for my bird house only to find a very nice sale.  I found by the time I bought the bird house, which was way too large or way too small and the items I needed to decorate I would spend a lot more than if I were to purchase one of their Fairy Garden homes.  I figured I would pick up a few things pre-made and spend less to have more to spend on the plants.  I had already picked up my little Fairy from Earl May the week prior.  I wanted to have a little vegetable garden for the Fairy since we garden but I couldn't find my clay you can bake and I did not want to buy the clay because I know once I buy some I will find it.  I picked up a little planting box of lettuce for now and some gardening tools for the Fairy. 


Memorial weekend we cleaned the deck, stained the main surface, and then cleaned our back porch.  It was now time for me to start my little garden.  I added the Phlox, which was labeled for Fairy Garden.  A bonus is it will attract butterflies too.  I also added a Columbine plant, this will attract Hummingbirds.  I also planted a tiny rose bush which was also labeled for a Fairy Garden.  All of these plants are perennials so they should grow back next year.  I had some left over Dusty Miller plants from other planters and chose to add it as well.  Here is a picture of the first day's planting.
 I think the little mushrooms are one of my favorite things.

It was a nice start but I knew I wanted more.


Last Wednesday while I was shopping for work, I drove by Earl May and decided to stop and pick up some more plants for the little garden and moss to add.  I bought three house plants I can transplant late fall and take indoors.  I picked up a little Palm Tree, an Umbrella Tree which I was able to divide and Hirt's Baby Tear Plant.  Here is my finished product for now.  
 I really liked how it came together. 


 One thing I definitely need to add is a little trellis for the rose bush.
Isn't it cute?

I plant to paint something special on the wash tub and adding a few decorative pieces to the garden later.   I am very pleased with the first little Fairy Garden.


Comments