Butterfly Garden

My butterfly garden has been created a year sooner then anticipated.  
We have been picking up things for it a little at a time but I did not plan to actually build it until next spring. 
This changed when on Saturday.
I met Todd at our Hy-Vee for breakfast but I was there first.
While I was there I wondered to the garden area in the parking lot.
A lot of the plants were in bad shape...
Root bound most are from being in the pots so long.
However I found a gold mine possibly.
They were giving the plants away.
Yes... giving them away!
I found several plants that attract butterflies and humming birds.  
***JACKPOT***

Build it and they will come...

Here is the location in the back yard that I chose.
 
I had all four of the boys assisting and Todd as well.
Todd secured the yard timber.
Joshua helped carry the top soil. 
Matthew and Ethan brought over compost
We had compost building under the newer grass for 2 years.
I have to say...it is great compost.
We filled the frame of the bed with compost and then added the top soil.  
Next came planting the actual flowers.
The boys assisted me with this as well.
After all the plants were added, I added the butterfly trellis.
The boys and Todd laughed saying it looked like a freshly dug grave with the trellis being the headstone.
They were right.  
It did.
Then I added the humming bird shepherd hook with a humming bird feeder.

Next the butterfly shepherd hook with a butterfly wind chime.

Noah helped me add the little garden fence around the butterfly bed.
I hope it keeps the bunnies out.
Noah also helped me plant Sweet Peas near the trellis.
I am in hopes it is not too late for them to grow and bloom.
The plants do not look so lively right now.
I am happy with the look.
I can see the beauty next year.
Hopefully the butterflies and humming birds will as well.  
I placed it next to a tree for future butterflies to breed
and the offspring to feed.

...Build it...they will come.

Comments

  1. Words can't express how happy I am for you. I'm always impressed by your work ethic and how you find opportunities around you, taking them quickly. I'm looking forward to the next set of pictures filled with plants, butterflies, and humming birds.

    What a great, enthusiastic, inspiring, and hopeful post. Happy summer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment